Saturday 15 February 2014

The wrath of the Almighty

Bible-bashing is not one of my favourite occupations. In fact, I avoid it at all costs as a rule. However...

This cartoon appeared on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. In the light of the utterly ridiculous, bigoted, unloving and un-Christian proclamation made by the Bishops of the Church of England today, I made some efforts to find it again as it resonated so much.


The rain and wind are howling outside as I type this. Ghastly UK winter weather? Yes. Global warming? Quite likely. God's punishment? I don't think so. If there is any direct divine reason for the present appalling conditions, I don't believe it to be God's punishment, it's God's tears for those who ignore the greatest commandments of all:

"'And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: 'You shall love your neighbour as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:30–31

Do you see anything in there about "except if your neighbour happens to love his own sex"? No, neither do I.

No comments: